If you haven’t already visited the D.C. Metro Area, you might find yourself overwhelmed by all the attractions our beautiful Nation’s Capital and surrounding areas have to offer. There is no shortage of history to learn or relearn, museums to visit, or parks to wander through. Despite the horrors of traffic, there is certainly more to love and beauty to appreciate and experience. With that said, together we’ve gathered places for you to consider visiting, broken down by a fun list. Whether you’re staying in town just for the weekend or for a week, or even two, we hope that our list will help you find something to do!
10 restaurants/cafés we frequent or just simply love:
- Caphe Banh Mi (407 Cameron Street, Alexandria, VA 22314)
- Del Ray Café (205 E Howell Ave, Alexandria, VA 22301)
- Grape + Bean (118 S Royal Street, Alexandria, VA 22314), Grape + Bean Rosemont (2 E Walnut Street, Alexandria, VA 22301)
- 219 Restaurant (219 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314)
- Fontaine Caffe & Creperie (119 S Royal Street, Alexandria, VA 22314)
- Kogiya Korean BBQ (4220-A Annandale Road, Annandale, VA 22003)
- Bangkok Golden (9503 Livingston Road, Fort Washington, MD 20744)
- Momo Sushi & Café (212 Queen Street, Alexandria, VA 22314)
- Oohhs & Aahhs (1005 U St NW, Washington, D.C. 20001)
- Chipotle (601 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314) …we just couldn’t leave this out!
9 parks/trails we enjoy:
- King Street Park (King St, Alexandria, VA 22314)
- Jones Point Park (Alexandria, VA 22314)
- Theodore Roosevelt Island (Lincoln Memorial Circle NW, Washington, DC 20037)
- Gravelly Point Park (Gravelly Point, Arlington, VA 22202)
- Daingerfield Island (Alexandria, VA 22314)
- Great Falls National Park (9200 Old Dominion Dr, McLean, VA 22102)
- United States National Arboretum (3501 New York Ave NE, Washington, DC 20002)
- Georgetown Waterfront Park (Water St NW, Washington, DC 20007)
- Fort Washington Park (13551 Fort Washington Road, Fort Washington, MD 20744)
8 historical sites:
- Mount Vernon Estate & Gardens
- The White House
- U.S. Capitol Building
- Ford’s Theatre
- Smithsonian Castle
- Eastern Market
- National Arboretum
- Arlington National Cemetery
7 Roman Catholic Churches/Religious Sites to visit or for daily and Sunday Masses/pilgrimages:
- St. Rita: our parish and where we will be getting married!
- St. Mary Old Town: oldest Catholic parish in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- St. Columba: where Fatima attend school from K-8 and received her sacraments so far.
- Cathedral of St. Matthew: Mother Church of the Archdiocese of Washington, also where Jonathan asked Fatima to be his girlfriend, and later his wife.
- Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception: largest Roman Catholic church in the United States and North America, and one of the ten largest churches in the world. Wonderful place of pilgrimage.
- Pope Saint John Paul II National Shrine: Wonderful place of pilgrimage, has a beautiful exhibit on the Life of St. John Paul (“Gift of Love”), and also houses first-class relics of St. John Paul II.
- Franciscan Monastery/Holy Land of America: Wonderful place of pilgrimage with replicas of sites in the Holy Land and Lourdes, France; truly an oasis of peace.
6 coffeeshops/wine bars/lounges worth checking out:
- M E Swing Coffee Co (501 E Monroe Ave, Alexandria, VA 22301)
- Northside Social Coffee + Wine (3211 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201)
- Killer E.S.P. (1012 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314)
- Marvin (2007 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20009)
- Basin Street Lounge (219 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314)
- The Hamilton (600 14th St NW, Washington, D.C. 20005)
5 memorials/monuments we visit most, which have fantastic views D.C. or Virginia:
- Lincoln Memorial
- Iwo Jima Memorial
- Old Post Office Pavilion Clock Tower
- Washington Monument
- Capital Wheel at National Harbor
4 Smithsonian museums we can spend the whole day at (free admission):
- National Gallery of Art
- National Portrait Gallery
- American History Museum
- Natural History Museum
3 places to shop:
- Tanger Outlets National Harbor
- Pentagon City Mall
- Tysons Corner
2 nearby movie theaters:
- AMC Hoffman 22
- Regal Cinemas Potomac Yards
1 favorite thing to do together in the city:
- The Jazz in the Gardens Series at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden (which will start back up in May!)